Friday, May 10, 2013

A Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

Corrie ten Boom’s book, The Hiding Place, is certainly an interesting book. However, it wasn’t the book for me. 

The Hiding PlaceThis book is a personal story of why the Holocaust is so horrible and what Corrie had to endure or suffer to be able to live free again. Although I found this book really horrifying, I found there wasn’t enough action. Half the book tells about her family members and I found there were so many of them, I couldn’t keep track of all of them. This story, for me, picks up half way through when you find out Corrie’s family is helping Jewish people escape from the Nazis through an underground tunnel. Corrie’s family then gets caught and they are sent to the concentration camp where only Corrie survives to tell the story. 

I feel like this book would be great if I read it again but, because there are so many characters, I dont feel I know them personally and that dragged down the book for me. I guess the real reason I didn’t like this book is because I didn’t really understand it. The second half of the book is great and also I have read a lot of other Holocaust books that blew my mind and this didn’t do that for me.
Trevor A.

No comments: