The Abraham Lincoln Book Award
What is it?Students like you across the State of Illinois have nominated books throughout the year for this award. The Abe Selection Committee narrows the nominees to 22 finalists. Illionis students read and vote for their favorite one on the list.
Here are the past winners:
- 2012 The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- 2011 Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- 2010 City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
- 2009 Crank by Ellen Hopkins
- 2008 Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
- 2007 Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
- 2006 My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
- 2005 A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer
How can I participate?Vote for an Abe Read 4 or more books and you are eligible to cast your vote for the next Abe Award. Just register in the LRC to participate. Copies of all of the books are available in the LRC.
To get on the list, the book has to meet certain criteria:
- First published within the past five years
- Currently in print in paperback
- Author living at time of selection for the Master List
- Fiction, non-fiction, or poetry
- May not be a textbook, a translation, or an anthology by more than one author
- May not be a previous Rebecca Caudill Award winner/current Caudill contender
- May not have appeared on a previous ALIHSBA Master List
- If part of a series, must be the first volume unless it can stand by itself without reading the previous titles in the series
Source: http://www.islma.org/lincoln.htmSound complicated? Ask our library staff for help if you're not sure if your book qualifies.