Friday, April 19, 2013

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Laurie Halse Anderson’s book Speak is a really great book. There is a movie about this book. The movie is a little different than the book, of course, but the book and the movie are both very great. 


This book is about Melinda Sordino, who is known as the party buster. Everyone hated her because at the end of the summer everyone had an end of summer party and she decided to call the cops. Her friend hates her and so does everyone else in the school. But at the party something happened. Something that no other girl would want happening to them. She was scared and she didn't know what to do. She can’t tell anyone about that night because she is scared about what might happen.

Melinda has no friends just because she called the cops about the party. If she told them why she did it, they probably wouldn't believe her and hate her more. Melinda is in a tough spot. If I were her I would at least tell someone because I wouldn't be able to just keep it to myself. I would be scared, worried, upset and wouldn't be able to sleep and wouldn't want to step foot into school. 


Melinda tried to go to her old friend, but she wouldn't believe her. If my friend came up to me and told me what Melinda told her then I would find a way to believe her over my boyfriend. In the end some girls found out what happened and Melinda told her mom about that night. 


I think this book is a really great book. I suggest people read this and possibly watch the movie. Read the book first, however, and then watch the movie. If I had to rate this book I would give it five stars.
Taylor M.

No comments: